Please collect the following items instead of throwing them in the bin for landfill.
- Felt tips and pens: TerraCycle and BIC will recycle these, then they are made into plastic boards and used for furniture.
- Plastic bottle tops can be recycled and money goes to Chestnut Tree House Children’s Hospice.
- Ring pulls from drinks cans can be recycled by the Purple Community Fund, which helps poor families in the Philippines.
“Show You Care” Kits for the Homeless
We need items that answer the following question: “If this was you, what would help you to preserve your dignity?”
We want to help people maintain their self-respect. Part of the difficulty of being homeless is the necessity to carry all of your belongings on your person at all times, so travel-size products would be very useful: toothbrushes, toothpastes, body washes, shampoos, conditioners, flannels, combs, hair brushes, cotton swabs, deodorants, lip balms, nail clippers, nail files. First aid is often out of reach for many homeless people, so please include basic medical supplies eg plasters, bandages, antibiotic creams, tissues and Ziploc bags.
Additional fun activities at HaMakom
- ALEH – Card Making ALEH is Israel’s largest organisation caring for people with disabilities. We will make cards and posters to send to Israel to decorate the residential centres.
- Making cupcakes for our senior members.
- Animal Rescue Centre We will up-cycle old T-shirts to make dog toys
10am – 12:30pm Join Care 4 Free A local environmental organisation, to help to clear Croxley Common Moor. As well as taking part in a very worthwhile project, we hope to have a great deal of fun. The organisation will provide all the necessary safety equipment.
Come along and entertain the Residents of The Haven with the children from HaMakom.
MITZVAH DAY GENERAL INFORMATION
We need as many volunteers as possible for all the above activities. HaMakom activities on Mitzvah Day will take place at 434 Uxbridge Road. Goods can be left at Bessborough Road or at Kol Chai Synagogue labelled for Mitzvah Day. Please advise us in advance if you wish to help at Croxley Green or The Haven, Hatch End so we can give you details.
Come along and be part of the fun this Mitzvah Day – it’s a mitzvah!
Most activities will take place between 10.30 – 12.30 at HaMakom (434 Uxbridge Road) unless otherwise stated.