Ingredients: (Makes enough for two 2lb or four 1lb baking tins)
- 1lb/480g golden syrup
- 0.5pt/25Oml cold water
- 70z/ 175g granulated sugar
- 8floz/200ml sunflower Oil
- 6 eggs
- 1lb/480g self-raising flour
- 0.5 level tsp ground ginger, cinnamon, and baking powder
- 2 level tsp mixed spice
- 1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 x tbsp Kiddush wine
Gently heat the golden syrup, water, sugar and oil in a saucepan, stir until smooth, and leave to cool.Sieve all dry ingredients together. Beat the eggs in a bowl until fluffy, and fold into the syrup mixture followed by the dry ingredients. Line tins with non-stick paper liners, and pour in mixture until half full.
Bake at gas no. 3 (325F/170C) for about 1.5 to 1.75 hours until firm to the touch and golden brown.
Cool on a cooling tray and wrap in foil when cold; store and use as required; can be frozen.